Here are 10 things you need to know about Andre Pejic…
1. Andrej was born on August 28, 1991, in Tulza in Bosnia and Herzegovina in a Serbian family. His parents, Jadranka and Vlada separated before long after he was born. He also has an elder brother.
2. During the Bosnia War, Andrej fled with his family to a refugee camp near Belgrade in Serbia. In an interview with Grazia magazine, he talked about his childhood saying: “The camp was a community. We went to school and I had lots of friends – mainly girls. Everybody played outside. My memories are very carefree.”
3. When Andrej was eight, the family fled Serbia following the 1999 NATO bombings and took refuge in Australia as political refugees. He still lives in Australia.
4. Andrej was a scouted when he was 16 and working in McDonalds in Australia, however he was spotted at a swimming pool in Melbourne when he was still at high school. It’s not clear if the Andrej knew he was male at the time or not.
5. Andrej’s vital statistics are: height – 6ft 2ins, shoe size – 10, eye colour – grey/blue, hair colour – blonde, chest – 36ins, waist – 30ins.
6. The male model claims his tremendous androgynous look is totally his own creation. He began to experiment with his look when he was 14 and tried to break gender stereotypes. In an interview with Telegraph he said: “Now I’m comfortable in my skin, and for my look to be celebrated is great. My look is very personal to me. When I started experimenting, it was a personal decision because I was unhappy. It wasn’t something I did for attention.”
7. In January, Andrej caused a blend at the Jean Paul Gaultier fashion show in Paris by walking down the catwalk in a see-through wedding dress in the women’s dress show.
8. Earlier this year, Andrej was ranked at number 98 in FHM’s 100 Sexiest Women in the World 2011. The men’s magazine flashed annoyance by remarking the model as a “thing” in a write-up on its website which was branded “transphobic”.
9. In May, a Dossier Journal magazine cover showing Andrej with his long blonde hair in curlers unbuttoning his shirt was censored in the US because the bare-chested model was believed to be too feminine. Bookstores Barnes & Noble and Borders covered the magazine with an opaque sleeve.
10. Andrej is signed to Storm Model Management and is ranked at number 18 in the Top 50 Male Models on website models.com.