1. If you like to re-do you're room as much as I do, don't spend tons of money on re-doing it. Always keep things that aren't damaged or gross that you may want to use in the future because trust me you most likely will.
2.Choose a theme that can be easily changed into another theme. For instance, my room is a old hollywood, black and white type of theme. I have the chandelier wall decal (from target only 12-15 dollars!) above my bed with Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe on the sides. These help my theme but are also something that could easily match any other theme I may want to try out (within reason of course!)
3. Stores like Wal-Mart and Target can be your best friend, but you can try stores like Home Goods, Ross, Pier 1 Imports (they can be a little pricy however), and even stores like JC Penney's! That being said try checking online to get a grasp of what you want and to find good deals (online sometimes offers free shipping, or special online only discounts! They also have online only items that may be perfect for your room!) Oh and try garage sales and flee markets!
4. Don't paint your room. Just don't. It may seem like a good idea, but like I said: if you like to change your room A LOT then odds are in a year or two you'll want to change the paint too and some parents may not be all for that (it also takes a lot of time and money).
5. Don't be afraid to sit on your room changing ideas for awhile! You may change your mind!
6. Wait until Christmas. I know, it's only May and my advice is to wait until Christmas? Christmas offers a variety of sales (some of which are better or equally as good right after the holiday) and on top of it you typically get money or the items you want in general (as long as you ask and are reasonable!) Just be patient and it'll be worth it!
7. Move items around (as long as your parents are okay with it at least!) Sometimes you just need a little fung shui, and moving around a few items is sometimes all you need! (Quick tips: if you want to move a heavy dresser take out all of the drawers and items on top, it makes it SO MUCH EASIER to slide it around all on your own. If you want to move a desk, do the same thing!)
8. It goes with number 1, but if a friend/family member isn't using an item in his/her room ask to use it! Odds are they'll give it to you for free or you'll pay a small garage sale type fee!
9. This also goes with number one but keep older items! You may want to reuse your old comforters or pictures or lamps or whatever in the future! And it'll cost you nothing to re-use it!
If you have more ideas to add to this or just like the advice like and comment! :) and check out my blog to find more tips and advice that may or may not be up on here! :)
Xo- M <3