1. Measure in inches your:
lower waist/or love handle area (not that anyone has them!)
length of top of hips to bottom of hips
how tight you want it around your knees
length from natural waist to knees
2. Add an inch to your natural waist, lower waist, booty, knees measurements then divide by 2
EX. if you have a 28 inch waist + add 1 inch = 29 inches,
then divide by 2 = 14.5 inches
3. Take a piece of stretchy or non stretchy fabric fold in half - make sure that it is within the longest width and length of your pencil skirt's measurement.
4. take a fabric marker or pins and mark the center of the fabric when folded
- the first picture below is folded and marked down the middle!
5. Take all new measurements (EX. 14.5 inches) and center them evenly down the center of the folded fabric in their appropriate places - MARK!!! Just like the first picture shows! if you want to add a little bit extra just in case, that is wise because it can always be taken in! Make sure to account for the length of your hips and the length from your natural waist to the top of the hips. Tapper from the bottom of the hips to the knees.
6. At this point you cut on the marked lines and pin
7. SEW taking a 1/4 - 1/2 seam allowance in account!
8. If you want to add a zipper ( with most stretchy fabrics you don't have to!) then you can do so now!
9. Hem top and bottom by folding it over and sewing with zig zag stitch - but if you are using knit fabric it doesn't fray and you don't have to hem! yahoo!
10. IRON excess fabric from seam allowance down in opposite directions, so it leaves a very flat and clean line on the outside! This is very important, because it makes it look finished.