Fondant is a paste often used to embellish cakes. This paste is rolled and flattened then placed on top of a cake previously frosted in order for the fondant to “glue” itself to it. In other words, fondant is a thick chewy form of frosting.
Fondant cakes are most often used to embellish wedding cakes. However, it can be used to decorate any type of cake. Specially if you want to create 3 dimensional flowers, bows and ribbons.
Fondant can be bought or home made. Fondant prices are a little bit expensive, but can make it at home for less.
you will need:
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1/8 cup & 1/2 tsp. water
- 1/4 cup glucose
- 2 1/4 tsp. unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 tbsp. glycerine
- 1/2 tbsp. crisco shortening
what to do:
- mix gelatin and water. Let stand until thick
- place gelatin mix in top of a double boiler & stir until it is dissolved
- add glucose (melted in the microwave) & the shortening and mix.
- remove from double boiler (before the shortening is totally melted) and add the glycerin
- pour the sugar in a bowl, make a well in the center and pour the mixture in the well and mix the sugar from the sides of the well into the mixture.
- after you have most of the sugar mixed into the glucose mixture, use your hands to start kneading the rest of the sugar into your fondant ball.
- if the fondant is too soft and thin, you can add more sugar until it is nice and thick but still soft.
- when the fondant is finished, if you want to add it color, you don't want to use de liquid food coloring, you wanna use either a paste or gel.
- if you are going to use the fondant right away, then proceed with rolling it out. If not, roll the fondant into a ball and store it in an airtight container.