This is a great recipe to make yourself for the cold fall nights coming up when you want to roast marshmallows with your friends or family. You can add a variety of different flavors and colors to make your own kind. Here I will show you how to make your own homemade marshmallows!
What you will need:
1. large mixing bowl
2. 2, 1/2 cups of cold water
3. 3 1/2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin (2 tablespoons + 2 1/2 teaspoons of gelatin)
4. 9x13 inch pan
5. powdered sugar
6. cooking spray
7. 2 cups white granulated sugar
8. 1/2 cup light corn syrup (or liquid glucose)
9. 1/4 teaspoon of salt
10. electric mixer
11. large sauce pan
12. 2 eggs
14. cookie sheet
OPTIONAL: food coloring, sprinkles, flavoring/extract
What to do:
1. Take your large bowl and pour 1/2 cup of cold water into the bowl.
2. Sprinkle your gelatin over the cold water (let sit while you go onto step 3)
3. Take your 9x13 inch pan and spray it well with cooking spray.
4. Sprinkle powdered sugar along the base and edges of the pan
5. Take your large sauce pan and place it on the stove, turning it on low heat.
6. Add your 2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup light corn syrup, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 of water into the sauce pan.
7. Stir the mixture in the sauce pan on low heat until it is all melted together and the sugar is dissolved.
8. Once the mixture comes to a boil, turn the heat up to medium. No more stirring.
9. Once the sugar mixture has reached 240 degrees Fahrenheit (115.56 Celsius)
10. Pour the mixture on top of the gelatin mixture
11. Stir together until the gelatin has dissolved completely
12. Take your electric mixer and beat the mixture until it comes to 3x its volume, becomes white, thick, and is light and fluffy. Like marshmallow cream!
13. In a separate bowl, beat 2 egg whites together (IF you wanted to add food coloring or sprinkles etc, you would add it to the egg mixture and beat together.)
14. Pour the egg mixture into the larger bowl with the marshmallow in it.
15. add 1 teaspoon of vanilla
16. Beat the mixture until it is all combined
17. Pout the marshmallow mixture into the 9x13 pan.
18. sprinkle an additional 1/4 cup of powdered sugar on top of the marshmallow
19. Let sit out, uncovered at room temperature for 1-2 hours until it is set.
20. Place a cookie sheet on a flat surface
21. Gently remove the marshmallow from the pan (easiest way: hold it on its side and gently loosen the edges with a butter knife, removing it in once piece) and place it on the cookie sheet.
22. Add some more powdered sugar to the top of the marshmallow (because it will be sticky).
23. Begin slicing the marshmallows up into pieces or even use a cookie cutter to make them into shapes.
24. Once you cut them up....again you can put more powdered sugar on them to prevent them from sticking together when you store them.
25. Store them in a covered, sealed container, somewhere at room temperature.
YOU ARE DONE! I know it was long, but it is a fun way to make your own homemade marshmallows! I hope you enjoyed it! ^-^v