NET-A-PORTER Fashion Director Holli Rogers knows a thing or two about shopping, and this week, she’s revealing the 11 pieces every woman should have in her closet. Some are staples, but a few others might surprise you! Find out what this style doyenne recommends in her list below!
What every woman should have in her closet:
1. The Leather Jacket–This coolest of cover ups can be worn with everything from tailored pants to a floor sweeping ball gown. A leather jacket is by nature irreverent and rebellious, so why not have fun with it. Some of my favorite styles come from Rick Owens, The Row and KARL.
-Holli’s pick: Rick Owens contrast-sleeve leather biker jacket
2. The Trench–No wardrobe is complete without one. From Burberry to Lanvin, this perennial staple for women around the world is a suitable cover up both day and night, over jeans or a flirty dress.
-Holli’s pick: Burberry London mid-length cotton-gabardine trench coat
3. The White Shirt–Perfect with everything from skinny jeans to embellished designer skirts. Every wardrobe should be stocked with at least a few fabrications, crisp cotton, fluid silk.
-Holli’s pick: Equipment Signature washed-silk shirt
4. Jeans–Now available in a broad variety of silhouettes and colors from designers such as MiH, J Brand or even dressier ones like these from ACNE, denim is a fashion essential. Cropped, skinny or flared, never have women had more choices to suit their personal style.
-Holli’s pick: Acne Kex low-rise skinny jeans
5. Diamond Earrings–Flawless with any look and go with any occasion. Once you invest in a pair of these, they will be the hardest working accessory in your entire collection.
-Holli’s pick: Anita Ko Spike 18-karat rose gold diamond earrings
6. The Slipper–Ballerina flats have long been a wardrobe must, but the smoking slipper is putting a new twist on the comfortable classic. While the boyish silhouette is quite simple, they come in fun patterns and materials that give your outfit an effortless but stylish look.
-Holli’s pick: Alexander McQueen sequin skull suede loafers
7. The Pencil Skirt–Absolutely the kind of power piece that every woman needs in her wardrobe. Whether in wool, leather or cotton, it’s the perfect solution to take you from day to night.
-Holli’s pick: Stella McCartney Alyssa wool-twill pencil skirt
8. Classic Bag–While “it” bags come in and out of fashion, a “classic” will never go out of style. Proenza Schouler, Chloé and Mulberry are the new essentials when it comes to arm candy.
-Holli’s pick: Chloé Marcie large textured-leather tote
9. Black Pumps–Every woman should invest in a classic, chic black leather pump. This signature staple will give your wardrobe everlasting style.
-Holli’s pick: Jimmy Choo Gilbert leather pumps
10. Bright Briefs–There is no better way to liven up a closet of essentials than to introduce colorful underpinnings. Briefs in electric hues such as blue, purple and pink will add flair to both your lingerie drawer and your everyday outfit.
-Holli’s pick: Deborah Marquit Giardino di Fiori Italian lace briefs
11. The Blazer–Long ago the blazer was “borrowed from the boys,” but it has since become a sartorial must of every designer wardrobe. Soft-shouldered or sharp, be it Stella McCartney, Faith Connexion or Alexander McQueen, the blazer is guaranteed to spruce up your look.
-Holli’s pick: Emilio Pucci virgin wool and silk-blend twill blazer