Hey guys it's Maggie!
I get a lot of headaches around this time of year, so I found some ways to help relieve them and wanted to share them with you lovelies!
- If you have constant headaches that don't seem to go away or start a few a hours after you wake up and get worse through out the day consistently then it's probably a good idea to get your eyes examined. If your straining to see it can give you headaches and you might not even realize that your sight is blurry!
- Take a warm bath or shower: All kinds of headaches can be relieved by taking a warm bath or shower. Sinus headaches respond very well to the steam and warm water; both help to open sinus passage, promote drainage and relieve headaches.
- Warm facial or neck compresses: Apply a hot, moist washcloth to the back of the neck to relieve a tension headache. Apply a facial compress to relieve a sinus headache. Hangover headaches respond well to cold facial compresses or ice bags.
- Darkened room: Many migraine sufferers cannot stand any light in the room when they are experiencing a migraine. Turn off the lights, especially florescent lights, and rest your eyes and headache in a darkened room.
- Soothing eye drops: Allergy, sinus and hay fever sufferers often experience dry, itchy eyes. Dry eyes can cause headaches. Apply some moisturizing eye drops to relieve dryness and headache pain.
- Go to the bathroom: This may sound odd, but going the bathroom can help relieve a headache. Constipation, bowel and bladder retention can cause pain in the whole body system.
- Lavender or lemon essential oil aromatherapy: Both lavender and lemon essential oils are useful in relieving headaches. You can also create a steam tent by filling a bowl with hot water and lemon juice. Place a towel over your head and the bowl and breathe the steam.
- Turn off the computer, television, video game, cell phone or digital device: Staring at a screen, especially small cell phone, Ipad, netbook, e-reader or GPS screens, can cause major headaches. If you are reading the screen and texting on it, even worse. Give your eyes a break and your headache may go away.
- Turn off loud or annoying sounds: Most any sound can cause headaches if it becomes repetitive. Digital sounds, buzzing, beeping, clicking and ringing are the worst sounds to hear for a headache. Try sitting in a quiet room.
- Eat a meal or nutritious snack: Hunger can quickly cause headaches, especially if you have been consuming caffeine and eating nothing. Eating a nutritious meal is sometimes all it takes to kick that headache. I personally do this a lot, I'll drink coffee in the morning but not eat any breakfast. I've stopped doing that as much because I know it's bad for you.
- Drink water: Not drinking enough water? That's a sure way to get a headache. If you are consuming caffiene or alcohol and not drinking water, you can get a pretty violent headache.
- Caffeine: Caffeine is a tricky substance when we talk about headaches. Too much caffiene can cause a headache; but so can lack of caffeine. If you normally drink even one serving of caffeine daily, going without can cause a nasty headache.
- Lack of sleep: If you are over-tired, plan on getting a headache. The good news is that even a small 'power' nap (15 minutes) can kick a tiredness headache. If you're at work, try resting your head and closing your eyes for a brief time, say on your break time.
- Give yourself a little head massage: A lot of headaches are caused by stress and tension. Try rubbing your temples, around your hairline, the joins of your jaw, your scalp, and the base of your head. This can help loosen up all your muscles and relieve a stress headache.
I hope this helps you guys!